Questions and Answers
- I have had an abortion. I was wild for a period andI actually cheated on my husband and in the process became pregnant. I aborted the child. Everything is right now between my husband and I now.But Ihave this lingering bad feeling about the abortion. Was I justified? Can I be forgiven?
- I am pregnant and I am so embarrassed. All of my friends will laugh at me and snicker. I can't handle the embarrassment. My future will be messed up if I have a child. Can't I quietly go and have an abortion? It's my body and my life, don'tI have a right to decide?
- I had a sexual encounter with my boyfriend that hasresulted in an unwanted pregnancy. The night that this occurred I told him that I did not want to go all the way. He pressured me both physcically and emotionally. I resisted but he was too strong both physically and emotionally. Afterwards I felt raped. Would I be justified if I had an abortion? .I feel I was raped by any standard. Will I be held accountable?
- I had an abortion. It was legal. It met all of thelegal requirements of the state and U.S. Constitution. People at church know about it and look at me funny. Doesn'tGod endorse the laws of the land and encourage believers to follow them?What is the law about abortion?
- I was reading in the bible about the return of Christand the Anti-Christ and I became real confused. Canyou tell me in a way that I can understand how things are suppose to happen at the end?
- Howdo we know that the bible is correct? After all, isn't it true that King James wrote the bible? How does he know? He wasn't there
- I was reading in the National Post that archaeologistshave discovered the city of Gath, and are looking for proof that giantslivedthere (among other things), as Goliath was supposed to have livedthere. Now,can you tell me the mostimportant 'find' that exists today, that provides proof of one small(orlarge!) statement or story in the Bible?
- The words in the bible sound much like thosein aShakespearean play. I have heard that King James was actually Shakespeare. Isit possible that the bible is just another piece of Shakespeare?
- I was told that in the beginning there was only God,but in Gen. 1:26 God says let us make man. Whois "us?"
- In Genesis chapter one it is said that Godcreated the earth in six days. Werethese six 24 hour days?
- In Genesis 4:16-17 it is said that Cain went into the land of Nod, built a city and conceived a child by his wife. Wheredid his wife come from? Adam and Eve had only two children, both males,where did the wife come from?
- I have seen in hundreds of Christian writings arguments that attempt to attach two independent scriptures and create some kind of conclusion. For example in one of my emails to you I tied Hebrews 13:8 to 1 Cor 12. And other people have differing scriptural based arguments in which they whole heartedly believe. But some of these philosophical arguments are viewed as heretical. For instance in the Catholics say, "that since Mary is the mother of Jesus, and Jesus is God, than Mary is the mother of God. The protestants would call this at minimum a partial truth, in that Mary was the mother of the MAN portion of the Man-GOD, and at worst a heresy. Likewise many protestant denominations have similar arguments that have caused great divides between them. I see you refer to "Preponderance of Scripture." What do you mean by that? Can it help me to know when I have crossed the line from truth to heresy? My response is that the Holy Spirit speaks and informs and tells me clearly what is truth and heresy.
- In the Valley of Dry Bones, reference is made to sinews. What are sinews?
- Why does the bible state that there was Adam and Eve. Then it notes that theirsons took wives. Where did the wives come from if eve was the only woman?
- I heard a woman in a class say that she wasBaptistbecause her mother was a Baptist. Isthat a good reason?
- I went to a Methodist Church recently andI heardthem read what they call the "Apostles Creed." In it they said theybelievedin the "Holy Catholic" church. Whydon't Baptist believe in the Holy Catholic church too?
- In the Black community it appears that thereis achurch on every corner. Why can't we just dissolve all of them and buildone big church for everybody. Isn'tit wrong t have all these churches?
- Everyone is always on my case because I missedthischurch function or that one. Any time I'm absent I get all these naggingquestions. Whyis it that everyone seems to feel that I must be a part of the churchtobe a Christian? If I never walked in the door wouldn't I be justas saved?
- I do not attend church as I should but, Iwas toldthat the body is a temple and in the bible it says, "If more thantwo gathertogether in my name, there is worship." My family and I pray togetheroften. Isthis wrong?
- My question to you is one of an office thatis notdirectly named in the Bible, but in the functioning of this office or board,the definition of it is carried out in the Bible. Whatis your overview of the functioning and or duties of the trustees inthechurch?
- Our church had a funeral the other day fora manthat was supposed to be a member of our church. He was in good healthbuthadn't been to church in at least 20 years. Whendo you stop being a member of a church?
- Why do churches have steeples?
- What is required for a person to be a deacon? What are a deacons duties?
- Can a woman serve as a deacon? Why are deacons in every Church I haveseenonly men?
- What are a deacons responsibility to support the pastor? What if the pastor is doing something wrong, should they continue to support him?
- In my church the deacons run everything. What are the duties of deacons and how did they get them in the first place?
- I went to a baby's funeral. It was sad.Since a babycannot confess Christ, is a baby saved when it dies? What aboutretardedpeople, they don't understand either. Arethey saved?
- When sinners die do they go straight to hell? I know the saved go straight to the presence of God, but where do the sinners go? Is there anyone inhell right now?
- Where does the soul go right after death? Itis often said that he/she is in HEAVEN! Then it is said that we will notenter until haven until Christ comes back those who dead sleeping in Christwill be called up first then those who remain will be call up. So, where is the soul until the final resurrection?
- At work we were talking about religions. We wentaround asking each person to tell their denomination. When they came tome I said I was Baptist. They told me I was going to hell. What religion is the right religion?
- Why do we have so many different denominations? If we say we are Christians,why can't that just be enough for people today?
- I study the bible, pray and attend bible classes. However, I often hear interpretations of scripture that differ from one person to another and one denomination to another. How do I know truth from heresy?
- When will barriers cease between denominationsordifferences in traditional doctrines. Christ said that He was comingback for a church without a spot or blemish. He did not say churchesor denominations. If the pre-requisite to make it to heaven was basedsolely on what church you belonged to, a lot of people would not make itbecauseno denomination that is striving today is totally adhering to thedoctrinefrom the original churches. My question is - What denomination is truly justifiable as the correct one? Keep in mind that those who confess and are living Christare truly The Church regardless of what "denomination" they are living.
- I read in the bible where Jesusdrank wineat the Lord's Supper and he turned water into wine at a wedding. If Jesusobviously saw nothing wrong with drinking, then whydoes our covenant have us promising not to drink?.
- I often hear that as Christians weare not supposeto gamble. Justwhat does the bible say about gambling? As a Christian what should be my attitude toward gambling?
- I read where there were dinosaurs and giant beaststhat lived millions of years ago. However, I have never read of them inthe bible. Isit biblical to believe in dinosaurs and creatures of that kind? Could they have existed?
- When we get to heaven it is alwaysbeen said youwill meet you loved ones again. Will we know them when we get to heaven?
- I am a college student who worksas a graduate assistantfor one of the professors in my department. The person thatI work for is often rude, quick-tempered, and oftenhard to dealwith. I have worked with her in the past on many projects. Under her guidance, I have gained experience in several areas. However, I am finding it more and more difficult to deal with thestress of working for her, so I am considering making this my last semester accepting the GA position. My problem comes here. She isa powerful person in the department. There are even very fewfaculty members even willing to stand up to her. I also knowthat she can be vindictive. She may take my leaving as a "disloyalty"issue. I am afraid that she may make my road that much more difficultgetting through the program. ShouldI stay on or should I follow my inner heart and not accept theposition again??
- I was asked a question todayand I thoughtI knew the answer, but before I tell this individual the answer,I want to make sure I'm right. Do animals have souls?
- What, if anything, is in the scriptureabout votingin the church?
- My daughter is a Christian, but sometimesrefusesto wear a hat to church. What should I tell her andIs it okay that her head is not covered when entering the temple and/orhouse of God?
- I "closed my eyes" to thingsthat were happeningto my daughters by their stepfather. I have asked Godto forgive me. Iam not sure if I need to ask my children for their forgiveness - they aregrown now. Only one of my daughters continue to bring it up, the othershave never said anything to me about this abuse. Shouldn't they automatically forgive me without me having to ask them for their forgiveness. My daughter who won't let the family forget this "secret" holds me accountable forall the bad choices she has made in her life. My daughter feels I owe heran apology. I feel she should just forgive. Doesshe deserve an apology from me? I am saved and sanctified now, is anaplogy to her necessary?
- I work for a business that pays mea decent salary.In fact, they pay everything that I was promised. However,I've noticedthat the company is hiring new workers who perform my same job,but theyearn more money and all other skill and experience levels are thesame.Am I wrong to feel bad concerning the salaries of the new workers?
- I have read the Bible, and actuallystudied the Gospelof Luke and the Acts of Apostles. My question is: What is the relevance of a Christmas Tree in the home during the "festive" season?Icannot recall any reference of a Tree being of such significance in theHoly Book. Is there a Biblical connection, or is the connection relevant to an earlier / later historical event, and if so, is it right (in theeyes of the Church) to connect the two?
- My parents won't allow me to attendmany of the activitiesat the church. They say I should focus on my schoolwork instead of readingbible scriptures, fellowshipping with Christian friendsand attending worship.They make it hard for me to grow spiritually. Am I supposed to disobey them and do it anyway?
- If in the beginning there was God,the Son and HolySpirit, wheredid the son come from? Who was the son's mother or who was God's wife?
- This may seem silly, but I want toknow. Did Adamhave a belly button? What about Jesus?
- How does one deal with different personality changes,especially thosethatwant to talk one day and the next day, they don't want to be bothered?Sometimes this can make a job really difficult while working for christ.
- I have been dealing with a lot offamily problemslately. I have had a parent to die, another close relative too and thereis sickness in my family everyday. I'm about to get to the end of my rope. I find myself depressed. Is it a sin to be depressed?
- If eating pork is forbidden in biblicaltimes andMoslems don't eat today, whydo Christians still eat pork?
- Is worrying or worry a form of sin? What is the difference between considering options and worrying?
- I know I have done things that are not pleasingin God's sight. When I do it, I can't rest or even thinkstraight. I wantto do the right things, but somtimes I feel that God is angrywith me andsomtimes I miss his presence. What does the word of God say about my situation?
- I was baptised by sprinkling, in a Methodistchurch many years ago. I'm not sure I was ever a "member" of thischurch. My parents continued to raise me in a Methodist church. Over the years and due to several moves throughout the country, Ihave attended Methodist, Presbyterian, & Baptist churches. NowI want to join a local Baptist church. My pastor has told me I cando so without another baptism under the watchcare program. My questionis this. IfI was never a member of the methodist church I was baptised in as an infant, can I still join the Baptist church under the watchcare program?
- What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Ghost? When is a person filled with the Holy Ghost?
- What does the bible say about Christian's and Debt?
- What is the meaning of A.D. and B.C.?
- On television I see ministers touchsomeone on thehead and they fall backwards. Sometimes it looks like the peoplefall beforethey are touched. Isbeing slain in the spirit biblical?
- How do I know that God exists? Prove to me that God exists. Show me in the Bible some proof that he exists.
- In Sunday School, my teachersaid God, Jesusand the Holy Ghost are one. That means that Jesus and Godare the sameperson. Howcan three things be the same as one thing? Please explain.
- What is God like?
- Shouldn'tGod be getting pretty old by now. After all he has been around formillions of years.
- If Jesus tells us not to judgeone another, then whydo some people in the church always try to tell others what's right and what's wrong? Aren't they judging?
- How can we evaluate the actions of other members of the church without judging them?
- My understanding of Matthew 7:2-3is that peoplewho have beams in their own eyes can't go around telling meabout the motein mine. Is that correct?
- Where in the bible does it say that the man is the head of the family? IfI work and make as much money as he does, why does my husband feel that he is the head just because he wears pants?
- I know a man who has marriedthree times and is aprominent leader in the church. Is it possible for a person to be a multiple divorcee and still receivethe blessings of the church?
- My husband says he's goingto divorce me. I'm worriedabout how Iwill stand with God if I agree to his divorce request. Will I be sinningif this is what he wants to do anyway?
- In Genesis, if Adam & Eveonly had Cain and Abeland the four of them were the only people on earth, wheredid Cain's wife come from???
- I never thoughtI a young Black BaptistPastor would have a need for it or have to ask thisquestion. My wife announcedto me last wek that she is yet IN LOVE with anold boyfriend from collegewhom she has not seen in over 4 years. We havebeen married almost threeyears and we have two children. I also have a sonby my first wife. Shesaid she loves me but is not IN LOVE with me.
- I found out aboutthis as a resultof a close inspection of my phone bills whereupon I noticedseveral callsto Atlanta while she was at home on maternity leave. Sheadmittedcalling her ex who is married with three children. He told her thatheand his wife were having trouble and were going to get a divorce..of courseit never happened.
Now she wants me to believe herwhen she says she will not speak with him again because she wants our relationshipto
work. She is in love with him and loves me...Myconcern is that if I had not found out about the phone billand then evenmore so did not accept her first lie...this would still be going on.
We have not had any major problems.....untilnow. I am a popular pastor and moderator of a local Baptist associationin my city and in line for another church..now this whatdo I do?
What does the bible say about legal separations? Are they O.K.?
- In public I dressvery conservatively and try to be modest. However, I like sexy things forthe bedroom. A friend of mine saw me in Victoria's Secretmaking a purchaseand she ridiculed me in light of my conservative publicappearance. Shesaid I must be a secret "animal" at night and made fun of me. I am wrong?
- My wife earns more money thanI do. She is a professionaland makes twice what I make. I pay a few of thebills out of my check,but she handles most of them. Sometimes we argue whenI complain that weare adopting a lifestyle far above what I can provide. AmI wrong for thinking that I have a responsibility to provide for the family and not my wife? What if she earns more money?
- Recently, I was doing someresearch on the internetfor my small group communication class. Ourgroup will be presentinga panel discussion on mandatory birth control as a solution to repeatpregnancies of welfare recipents. A few of the articles I found criticizedall forms of birth control (Norplant, the pill, etc.) as being sinful.Some argued that they are in conflict with God's will and prevents a lifefrom forming that is God's creation. Wouldyou consider any form of birth control used within a marriageinconflict to the will of God?
- My husband gets angry easy.The least little thingI do gets him all worked up and he yells at me andstorms out of the house. Whatam I doing wrong?
- Help! I'm getting in over myhead! I met this womanwho is very exciting, interesting and attractive. Iam still married butmy wife and I are separated. However, I'm attracted tothis woman in acrazy way. We have dated. We've had sex. I plan to get a divorce.She'salready divorced. I'm getting in over my head. I'm trying to be a Christian. Ifthe Lord did not want me to have this woman, why would he make us so attracted to each other? Can it be wrong if it feels so right? How do I stand?
- What Does The Bible Teach About Music? Should Christians Listen To Rap, Hip Hop and Other Forms of Modern Music, Jazz, R & B? Can Christiansdance?
- Whatdoes the bible tell us the duties of the pastor should be?
- Can a Church member correct a pastor when they are wrong. Why do preachers say that a member cannot correct a pastor? Is this Scriptural?
- I notice that we call ourpastor's "Reverend" thisand "Reverend" but then I notice on television thatpeople like Billy Grahamand Fred Prcie only say "Billy" and "Fred." Whatis the correct title?
- Is it possible to pastor more than one church simultaneously?
- I saw a bumper stickeron a car that read "Bewarethis car may be driverless when the rapture comes." Whatis the rapture?
- I understand that thedead in Christ will be caughtup to meet Jesus in the air in the rapture. But howwill they get out of their graves and caskets? What about those who were blown up or cremated? I'm confused.
- I take a class witha man that is a Seventh Day Adventistand he tells me that we are going tochurch on the wrong day. Hesays that Saturday is the Sabbath and we are doing wrong to change it to Sunday. Is he right?.
- Did Christ changethe Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday?
- So what you are sayingis Saturday is still the Sabbath.If that is so why is it that the church does not meet on the Sabbath daylike it is supposed to? Whydo we meet on Sunday instead of Saturday?
- I had a friend whoasked mehow to be a Christian. I told her all she had to do was to come upon Sunday and sit in the chair after the preacher preaches. Was I right?
- How do I join a church? What if I have been put out?
- I heard a preacher say that once we are saved that we "have a lock" on heaven. He said there is nothing that can prevent us getting to heaven because God has promised it, even if we steal, fornicate or murder someone. If I am saved, am I always saved regardless to what I do? Can I lose my salvation?
- I heard a friend say she was saved and that she knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that she would make into the heavenly kingdom of God. Howcan she be so sure.
- Everyday I judgemyself by whether I am able to getmore! If I get more I think I am successful.If not I'm a failure. Whatdoes the bible say about being satisfied with my daily blessings?
- I am a Christianbut I love sex. I respect the womenI have sex with and make it my businessto only date one woman at a time. Is there anything wrong with that?
- I am a 23 year old virgin, working on My PhD.I am engaged to a young man who isin the military. We plan to be marriedwhen I finish my degree about four years from now. He thinks it’s O.K.for us to have sex until we aremarried, but I feel it would be wrong.I have considered marriage but my parentsare against marriage before Ifinish my degree. Since I am a virgin, it iseasy for me to wait I guess.It is harder for my beau. I have alwayswanted to save sex for marriage.I want to obey God’s will. My beausays waiting until I finish my PhD istoo long. He may be tempted beyond hisability to contain himself. Will sex be a sin for us if we are in love under these circumstances?ShouldI wait?
- I want to datethis guy but he's a non-Christian.I think I can save him if I can get himto go with me. If someone elsedates him he'll probably never be saved. Isit wrong to date a person for "missionary" reasons?
- I try to avoidlust, but it seems impossible. I justget these urges. How can I overcome my lust for sex?
- Are Oral Sex, Anal Sex and other forms of foreplaysuch as whipping, tying up a spouse allowableand biblical for marriedcouples?
- Is it wrong for me to masturbate?
- I'm trying todate this guy but I just don't trusthim. In fact, I don't trust any man. I was molested when I was young. Does this have something to do with it? Can I ever trust anyone again?
- I am gay. I am a musician for a local church. On occasion I hear the pastor make references to gays that seem to suggest that gays cannot go to heaven. That hits me hard because I consider myself a Christian. I read the bible, attend worship and listen attentively tothe sermons preached. I know other gay musicians, who feel the same asI do. Why would God exclude us from heaven, even though we believe in Christ?
- I notice thatthere are many gay people who professa faith in Jesus Christ. They sing inchoirs, attend bible studies andseem to be law abiding moral persons, except for their gay lifestyle. Can gays who confess Christ go to heaven?
- I'm trying to live the single life but my friendseems to need more than I can give.He says he needs more love. I keepgiving, but I never seem to get it back. What'sup?
- My boyfriend says we don't need to be married inan open ceremony as long as we love each other and exchange promises toeach other in a prayerful way. He says marriage ceremonies are simply tradition and are not required by God. Is he right? Can we simply say we love each other and that makes usmarried?
- The bible talksabout being unequally yoked. Does this mean a single young virgin should not marry a guy that has been sexually active? I don't know of any men that save themself for marriage, but there are plenty of women that stay virgins until marriage?
- My boyfriend says he trusts me, but he really hatesit when other guys look at me, espsecially an ex of mine. He saysthat its not me he doesn't trust it's the guys he doesn't trust. He really hates it when my ex compliments me and everything, and I understandwhat he is saying but its causing us to argue, and I don't want that anymore. Can you please help me. I don't know what to do.
- Being 21 I like to go out and have fun with my friends and they are not saved so theydrink and tempt me. I don't do it often,but occasionally. As for the sexbefore marriage, I dont do that, but thenguys are trippin cause I don't. How do you encourage your young peopleto stay in church and doyou think it is okay to go clubbin and not drink and still call yourself "saved"?
- My boyfriend is extremely jealous. He really goesoff anytime he even thinks I'm talking to someone else. It could be a girlfriend of mine or a male friend. I have to talk to my friends in secret because of his jealousy. He says I should be loyal to him and him alone. Is he right?
- I read yourresponse on the subject of "jealousy"and I have a question to add. I am the jealous one in our relationship,and unfortunately so. I try to not be and I am trying like crazyto find a solution to my problem. I do distrust my boyfriend becausehe had been writing flirtatiously to his ex-girlfriends and I read someof the letters via email and thru written letters. Also my boyfriendis not very discreet about looking at other beautiful women when they walkby. He says he is not unhappy with me and wants to stay together,but I feel so put down and ugly and disrespected when he looks at othergirls. I love him, this I can truly say. I just don't know how to act anymore in regards to the situation. We have had the same argument at least 200 time in the year and ahalf we have been together. He no longercares if I cry or try totalk to him about it. He says one of us willhave to change in orderto solve this problem, but he says he isn't goingto stop looking and thathe knows I won't stop being jealous . Is it right to be jealous in such an obviously disrespecting situation? Or should I just have more security about myself? Please helpme because this is the main reason he and I fight and I am on the brinkof just giving up here-but I love him and I don't want to leave.
- I get veryjealous sometimes, and I hate the feeling,but I don'tget where it stems from.. I have no logical reason to be jealous, butI am none the less. I know in my head that she is completely honest with me, but in my heart I get so jealous... or maybe it's the other way around.. oh boy, I'm mixed up. I love my girlfriend very much. We are bothChristians and this is the best relationship either of us has had. I don'twant my petty jealousy to tear us apart.. so I'm needing to know what todo. I need to change my way of thinking or something... I don't believeI see her as a possesion, but maybe I always have and never realized it..I sincerely hope not.. I know I need to treat her better than this, butI can't lie and say I'm fine with certain things she does, when I'm not..I'll blow up in side and plus we promised each other we'd always be honest...I don't know... please help me out.
- I have prayed that God would send me a good man.I think he has answered my prayer. I have found the most wonderful man.He treats me like a queen, makes me feel comfortableloved and needed.However, he's married. He tells me that his marriage is just about over, except for the paperwork of divorce. I'm getting in deep, even sexually, am I doing wrong?
- If I commit suicide, can I still go to heaven?
- What does the bible say about suicide?
- Are there any examples of suicide in the bible?
- My fatherleft instructions that should he becomebrain dead of unable to function ina way that we knew he would not want,to allow him to die without extra efforts. Isthat suicide?
- Where didthe idea of the tithe come from? Is it in the bible?
- I try to be a Christian and give to help others.When I told my church members thatI give my tithe to help the less fortunateand to contribute to needy causesthey said I was in error. Where should the tithe go?
- I want to obey God and pay my tithe, but each timeI write out a tithe check to the church my husband and I have a fight.He says a $25.00 a month contribution is sufficient. Our title should be $310 a month. I feel like I'm stealing from God. What does a Christian do about tithing when a spouse disagrees?
- How much is a tithe?
- How do I explain the biblicalconcept of tithing to members who say the book of Malachi is for Jews only?The believe that we are under no commandor obligation to tithe in the NewTestament.
- How does one resolve the scripture in Malachi where the reader is told that we rob God by not paying the tithe and then in II Corinthians 9 we read, that we are not to give grudgingly nor out of necessity for God loves a cheerful giver? Can one truly be cheerful in their giving of the tithe while also thinking that the tithe is what they must do?
- Is the tithe a requirement and thereby becoming a law in a sense where there are negative consequences for not paying the tithe?
- I bring home $233 a week. Usually around $37has been deducted for Social security and taxes. Do I tithe on the $233or the $270? What do we tithe on, the gross or the net?
- I visited a bible study group in which the participantsall began to speak in some kindof foreign language. They lifted theirhands and said something that sounded like "a shambala ala shundula" or something like that. Afterwards they toldme they were speaking in tongues.They said it was a special prayer language they use to talk to God andthat I should pray to receive the gift myself. What is speaking in tongues?
- They tell me that when I speak in tongues it is anevidence that I am truly savedand have received the Holy Spirit. Isthat right?
- Is tongues speaking a cult? Is it bad? Why are people doing it?
- I've been hearing a lot about the Y2K problem. Somepeople are saying this willbegin the end of the world. What should be the Christian response?
- I went to a funeral the other day and there was awoman minister that was programmed to give comments. However, the pastorof the church refused toallow the woman preacher to speak from the pulpit.He said God doesn't callwomen to preach. She had to make her comments from the floor. Are women preachers biblical?
- 810 Breard Street
- P.O. Box 9063